Dumbing Us Down (John Taylor Gatto)
After over 100 years of mandatory schooling in the U.S., literacy rates have dropped, families are fragmented, learning “disabilities” are skyrocketing, and children and youth are increasingly disaffected.
Thirty years of teaching in the public school system led John Taylor Gatto to the sad conclusion that compulsory governmental schooling is to blame, accomplishing little but to teach young people to follow orders like cogs in an industrial machine.
He became a fierce advocate of families and young people taking back education and learning, arguing that “genius is as common as dirt,” but that conventional schooling is driving out the natural curiosity and problem-solving skills we’re born with, replacing it with rule-following, fragmented time, and disillusionment.
Disclosure: If you purchase this book on Amazon, I will receive a small payment (at no additional cost to you). Rest assured I will only ever recommend books I’ve absolutely loved myself, and believe will help you on your home education journey!
25 years on…
Gatto’s radical treatise on public education, a New Society Publishers bestseller for 25 years, continues to bang the drum for an unshackling of children and learning from formal schooling. Now, in an ever-more-rapidly changing world with an explosion of alternative routes to learning, it’s poised to continue to shake the world of institutional education for many more years.
Featuring a new foreword from Zachary Slayback, an Ivy League dropout and cofounder of tech start-up career foundry Praxis, this 25th anniversary edition will inspire new generations of parents and students to take control of learning and kickstart an empowered society of self-directed lifetime-learners.
Product & shipping info
- Format. Our guides and digital products are supplied as PDFs you can read on any device (though you may need to zoom in a little on a phone).
- Delivery. After placing an order you will receive an email with a link to each guide you ordered. You can use that link 3 times to download the guide.
- Shipping. Digital products do not incur any shipping costs. If you see any shipping charges, they will be for the printed items in your order.
- Colors. While we go to great lengths to ensure the colors of our products are accurate, there may be a little variation. As such there may be minor differences between what you see on screen, and the product that arrives at your home.
- Packaging. Our products are printed and shipped on demand in sturdy, environmentally-friendly packaging.
- Delivery. We use multiple print vendors to get the best quality products. This means items from your order may arrive separately at different times.
- Costs. Are confirmed during the checkout process.
Ordering through Amazon
If you purchase this book on Amazon, I will receive a small payment (at no additional cost to you). Rest assured I will only ever recommend books I’ve absolutely loved myself, and believe will help you on your home education journey!
Questions and feedback
If you have any questions, thoughts or feedback on our shop or the products in it, we’d love to hear it. Please drop us a line at [email protected]